Giancarlo Barolat, M.D.
Giancarlo Barolat MD Neuro-Modulation & Neurological Surgery
- Giancarlo Barolat MD was born and raised in Torino, Italy
- Medical school at the University of Torino, Italy. 1968-1974
- Residency in Neurosurgery at the University of Torino. 1974-1979
- Fellowship in Functional Neurosurgery and Neurostimulation at the Mount Sinai Medical Center in Miami, Florida. 1978-1979
- Second residency in Neurosurgery at the Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee. 1979-1985
- Fellowship in spinal cord injury, Medical College of Wisconsin, 1984-1985
- Certified by both the American and the Italian Board of Neurosurgery.
- Dr. Barolat was Professor of Neurosurgery at Thomas Jefferson University, Director of Neurosurgical Services at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital (TJUH) and Director of the Division of Functional Neurosurgery at Thomas Jefferson University until December 2004 .
- Dr. Barolat practiced at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital from 1985 to 2004. His practice encompassed cranial and spinal surgery as well as functional neurosurgery. Dr. Barolat had extensive involvement with the oncology department in the surgical management of cerebral and spinal metastasis, particularly malignant melanomas. Dr. Barolat also functioned as the main pediatric neurosurgeon at TJUH, operating primarily on newborn infants with hydrocephalus and/or spina bifida.
- Dr. Barolat has extensive experience with surgical spine procedures. Dr. Barolat is fellowship trained in spinal cord and spine injuries. He was an integral part of the TJUH Spinal Cord Injury Program for over ten years. As such, he has performed hundreds of complex spine operations. He has also been involved in the surgical management of intractable seizures through implantation of vagus nerve stimulator devices.
- Dr. Barolat was President of the International Neuromodulation Society and is on the Board of the American Neuromodulation Society and on the Editorial Board of the Journal, Neuromodulation. He is currently Director-at-large of the International Neuromodulation Society.
- Dr. Barolat is one of the world leaders in the area of neuro-implantable technologies for the management of pain and motor disorders. Dr. Barolat is one of the pioneers of spinal cord stimulation for spasticity and pain management. His practice is one of the largest in the country, with patients being referred nationally and internationally.
- Dr. Barolat has performed more than 4,000 neurostimulation implants
- Dr. Barolat has been the author of over 60 medical articles and book chapters. He lectures extensively both nationally and internationally.
- Dr Barolat is currently practicing neurosurgery and neuromodulation in Denver, Colorado, and is affiliated with Presbyterian/ St. Luke's Medical Center.